- Identifies and prepares medications delivered to the sterile field.
- Accounts for and verbalizes amounts of medications used.
- Disposes of unused medications according to policy.
- Maintains knowledge of commonly used local anesthetics, antibiotics and topical hemostats.
- Obtains appropriate syringe and needles for surgical use.
- Gathers needed supplies and equipment in advance of the surgical schedule.
- Updates surgeon preference books as needed.
- Reports missing supplies or malfunctioning equipment.
- Opens surgical supplies, instrumentation, suture and setting up the sterile field.
- Scrubs, gowns, organizes surgical instrumentation and draping, before surgeon scrubs.
- Handles equipment, instrumentation, suture and drapes in a safe manner pertaining to sterility.
- Maintains scrutiny of the sterile field. Reports break in technique and requests resolution.
- Make efforts to contain spillage of solutions and body fluids.
- Is aware of electrosurgical unit activating device at all times.
- Anticipates the surgeon’s needs and requests supplies ahead of time.
- Performs sharps and sponge counts with circulating nurse according to policy.
- Assists in dressing wound.
- Tears down the sterile field, contains contaminated articles.
- Disposes of sharps and hazardous materials in appropriate receptacles.
- Assists in the transfer of the patient to cart or wheelchair.
- Assists in cleaning the OR with appropriate disinfecting agents.
- Washes and reprocesses instrumentation.
- Assists in bagging and disposing of surgical waste according to policy.
- Prepares the environment and scrubs for the surgical procedure
- Able to assist the RN in prioritizing implementation of physician orders according to patient needs and physician requests.
- Diagnostic and therapeutic medical staff orders
- Assignment of nursing care based on patient assessment by the RN to meet individual patient needs:
- Instrument Care
- Documents instruments in need of repair.
- Catalogs broken instruments and forwards for repair.
- Logs repaired instruments back into service.
- Acts as resource for inquiries from surgeons or PAs regarding instrumentation.
- Reports and recommends surgeon’s request for instrumentation to the Clinical Nurse Manager.
- Maintains instruments, cleans, and disinfects, sterile processes for each use.
- Organizes storage areas for instruments and supplies.
- Remains current in CPR certification.
- Confidentiality: Maintains confidential all observed or acquired information regarding all patients, their surgical procedure and their perioperative experience.
- Special Projects
- Assists in the collection of data for quality assurance.
- Makes recommendation for improvement in the delivery of services and patient safety.
- Participates in self-evaluation and annual review of employee performance.
- Assists Hospital Secretary in assembling charts, distributing schedules and filing when “down-time” occurs in the hospital.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Preferred graduate of an accredited School of Surgical Technologists.
- 6 months of clinical experience-Orthopedic specialty preferred.
License, Certificate or Registration:
- Current ORT certification
- BLS Required
- Hepatitis immunization (provided at no cost to the Employee) or documented refusal to be vaccinated.
- Evidence of negative Mantoux or chest x-ray annually (test will be provided at no cost to the Employee).
- Able to maintain extensive standing, moderate sitting and retracting.
- Physically able to perform CPR.
- Able to lift a minimum of 15# of surgical instrument pans or equipment.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
This position involves potential exposure to infectious wastes such as blood and bodily fluids that mandate the wearing of gloves, masks, gowns and goggles for every actual or potential exposure.
Benefits are available for this position.
For consideration, please submit an application or resume with cover letter to HR@spechosp.com. No calls or walk-ins please. You may also fax your submission to 1-866-243-5592.
Specialists Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.