Specializing in Procedures of the Arm, Elbow, Shoulder, Hand and Wrist
Dr. Cooper is recognized as the ARK-LA-TEX leader in minimally invasive procedures to treat hand and wrist conditions. A native of Shreveport, he returned to to join Orthopedic Specialists of Louisiana after a distinguished career in the United States Army, as an orthopedic hand surgeon. His time in the military coincided with the most intense phases of our nation’s conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan and he participated in the care of our wounded service members at multiple points along their evacuation chain, including the front lines. He served in leadership positions at Army facilities in Fort Polk, Louisiana, Fort Bragg, North Carolina, Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC, Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas and Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany and was Chief of Orthopedic Surgery for the 28th Combat Support Hospital in Baghdad, Iraq. He also served as the Regimental Surgeon for the 2nd Armored Calvary Regiment in Bosnia Herzegovina.
Dr. Cooper is board certified in both hand surgery and orthopedic surgery. He is a fellow in both the the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH) and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS). He has a particular interest in carpal tunnel syndrome and has performed more minimally invasive endoscopic carpal tunnel releases than any other surgeon in state. His commitment to his practice is based on a feeling that no other specialty so directly improves a patient’s quality of life in such a timely manner. He is committed providing the most compassionate and effective care possible. His wife Nancy Cooper, is an attorney for the Louisiana Child and Mental Health Center. They are the proud parents of three children- Suzanne, William and Nathan.
- Hand Surgery Fellowship at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington D.C. and The Curtis National Hand Center, Baltimore, Maryland
- Residency – Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas
- Medical school – Tulane Medical School, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Undergraduate – United States Military Academy, West Point, New York
CERTIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Shreveport Medical Society
- Louisiana State Medical Society
- Louisiana Orthopedic Association
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Ameican Association for Hand Surgery
- Society of Military Orthopedic Surgeons